The workload varies throughout the week and the year but generally the vet is busy spaying, castrating, responding to emergency and house calls as well as attending to animals brought directly to the clinic. On Saturday morning there is an Open Community Clinic where the local people bring their cows, goats and dogs for free consultation and treatment. The vet attends to any animal brought in for medical treatment including donkeys, cows, goats, dogs, cats, chicken, rabbits, birds, and monkeys.
- Husbandry: Maintenance & cleaning of kennels, cattery, stables and paddocks; Dog walking and grooming; Horse and donkey grooming
- Vet experience (training provided): Sterilizations, vaccinations and soft tissue surgeries; House-calls around the island; Treatment of animals brought to the clinic; Saturday Open Clinic for the local community; Changing bandages, bathing animals, providing medication; Treating chronic skin problems; Nursing sick animals under vet supervision
- Clinical skills: Perform spay/neuter surgeries under vet supervision*; Assist in more complicated surgeries (amputations, enucleations, etc.); Wound care and management; Splint/cast and manage broken legs; Develop clinical confidence by participating in consultations; Learn how to diagnose diseases without laboratory test facilities; Learn to triage emergency cases
- Animal Experience (hours/week): 30-40
- Vet Experience (hours/week): 40-50
- Clinical Experience (hours/week): 20-30
- Surgical Experience* (hours/week): 5-10
*Animal welfare is the most important factor to consider when allowing students to perform surgery- we cannot guarantee surgical experience in any session on any program, because welfare must be assessed in each case. The estimated number of student surgeries per week is based on past volunteer experiences, however, animal welfare conditions, student experience & confidence, weather, national holidays, and other variables may affect the availability of student surgeries.
Free Time: volunteers have 1-1/2 days off to explore Zanzibar- local activities include nearby beaches, beach resorts such as Nungwi, Paje and Jambiani, the spice plantation, Jozani Forest National Park, mangroves of Mungooni and Uzi, yoga classes, and exploring Stone Town (souvenir shops, bars, cafes, concerts, clubs, and events).